About this Business
A fantastic town centre venue with a range of different uses, such as live events, workshops, classes and performances centred around performing arts, arts and crafts, art classes, theatre and drama, music, singing, piano concerts and other live music, dance, fitness, community well-being and craft markets.
The Market Cross has had a wide range of uses over the past four hundred years from a theatre and dancehall to a badminton court, and a contemporary art gallery. Before that, as the name suggests the site was the town's market.
In June 1725 the first floor of The Market Cross became Bury St Edmunds’ first permanent theatre, The Grand Theatre.
In 1774 the famous Georgian architect, Robert Adam was commissioned to re-clad the south end of The Market Cross. The scheme was later enlarged to include the other three sides and work was finally completed in 1780. The exterior of the building remains largely the same today.
In 1818 the Corporation agreed that a new theatre should be built in Westgate Street. The present Theatre Royal Bury St Edmunds was opened in October 1819.