Telephone
01284 752394

Address
Out Risbygate, Bury St Edmunds IP3 3RN, UK

About Suffolk Regiment Museum

The Suffolk Regiment Museum was established for the 250th Anniversary of the Regiment in 1935. The first acquisitions were items which belonged to even older collections of badges, medals and uniform items which had been displayed in the Officers’ Mess since before The Great War. Throughout the 1940s and 1950s the Museum was a working museum in which Suffolk Regiment recruits would go to learn the history of their Regiment. 

In 1968 the Museum moved to its current location in The Keep – the surviving building of the 1878 Regimental Depot. The displays tell the story of the regiment from its foundation in 1685 to amalgamation with the Royal Norfolk Regiment in 1959. 

The history covers the regular, militia, volunteer and war-time battalions as well as the experience of individual soldiers and is told through medals, uniforms, photographs, weapons, equipment and personal memorabilia. 

These include:- the surviving Roubaix Drum, buried in France at Dunkirk and retrieved safely after D –Day; the Regimental Brooch presented by the Regiment to its Colonel-in-Chief HRH The Princess Margaret; a superb research collection of badges and insignia; the nameplate of the LNER railway engine, ‘the Suffolk Regiment’; the Imperial German flag, taken down from the German Governor's Building in Togoland on 5th August 1914 - almost certainly the first to be captured during The Great War; Sgt Arthur Saunders’ Victoria Cross; artifacts and photographs telling the harrowing story of those men captured by the Japanese; a National Serviceman's bedspace gives a taste of life in the Regiment in the 1950s both at The Depot and on active service’ and much much more!


We firmly believe that this rare survivor is one of the finest regimental collections to be seen anywhere in the country. Please do take the trouble to come along - you will certainly find your visit worthwhile.

Related blog posts

Bury St Edmunds Hotel Reopens After Refurbishment

The Northgate has reopened after an extensive refurbishment of its entrance hall, restaurant, private dining...

READ MORE

Our Bury St Edmunds Offers Packed Menu for Foodie Festival

New celebrity chefs and stalls bringing first-time flavours are on the menu for the Our...

READ MORE

Journey through the magical world of children’s classics this Summer

Moyse’s Hall Museum are bringing a ‘Summer of Stories’ to life from an exhibition of...

READ MORE

Directory Listings